August 7, 2021
So you just got engaged. That’s exciting! Shortly after, you should start thinking about booking an engagement session. Engagement sessions are a good idea because they give you and your partner an opportunity to get comfortable posing with each other in front of a camera before the big day. They also give you a chance to get more comfortable with your photographer (assuming you choose the same one for your engagement session and your wedding, which I highly recommend). And lastly, engagement photo shoots will give you pictures that memorialize this special and fleeting time in your life!
1. Choose a location that you will feel comfortable in. Somewhere you will be able to let your guard down and relax. It helps to find a place that isn’t crowded because nothing is more uncomfortable than crowds of people watching as you pose. Finding a quiet place where you and your partner can relax, play around, and actually enjoy each other is best.
2. Choose outfits that you would actually wear in the real world. Don’t go out and buy new clothes in a style that isn’t true to you, or that don’t give you that “I’m feelin’ myself” feeling. If you are uncomfortable or not confident in your attire, it will most likely come through in the photographs. Clothes that are comfortable, breathable, neutral, and simple are best!
3. Plan a special dinner for afterward. You are already all dressed up, looking and feeling your best. You’re in a romantic and loving mood after spending the day celebrating your engagement. Just do it. Trust me. ❤️
4. Use your engagement photos as a trial run for your wedding day hair and makeup! You want to see how your hair and makeup look comes across in photographs before your actual wedding day, and the engagement session is the perfect opportunity to test it.
5. Trust your photographer to give you directions and guidance! You don’t have to come knowing how to pose. What’s important is that you show up with an open mind and an excited attitude! And remember, the more fun you are having, and the more you embrace the awkwardness and the random ish I say during your session, the better the photos will turn out!
If you want to see the most recent engagement session I captured, you can check that out here! See if you can find the same couple on this blog post!